Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Daily Thanks - Day 49 - Wheels



Every day we have something to be thankful for. Today I am thankful for wheels.

For many people, it is easy to simply step over the brilliance of the invention of the wheel much like it was a drunk bum in front of your local Cold Stone Creamery. However, as simple as it may seem, we all know that hindsight is 20/20. The invention of the wheel was like a riddle that someone asks you that has the most simple and obvious answer, yet you dig down to the most cavernous depths of your mind in search of a solution to no avail. Then when you hear the answer you say to yourself "wow I'm stupid".

It was so unobvious, in fact, that human beings roamed the earth for nearly 150,000 years before the wheel came to fruition in any form. Even then it was thousands and thousands of years before the wheel was ever properly developed in the use of transportation. Then there was the undying evolution of the wheel from using stone, to wood, to using axles, the spoked wheel, the use of metals, the steel rim, the tire, etc. It went on and on and to this day we still find new ways to improve these whirling wonders. So while you may feel that the wheel aint no big deal, then riddle me this - I make things float like a butterfly, and I look like a plate. Things are much easier when I begin to gyrate. You can find me on a car. You can find me on a truck. If it wasn't for me I think you'd all be fucked. What am I?

Some situations in which the use of wheels is present can include: competing in a pinewood derby, getting a drive-thru chili dog, graciously rolling in your computer chair from one desk to another to grab a file, driving to the hospital after getting too careless with your computer chair maneuvers, rollerblading, skateboarding, unicycling, street luging, steering a boat, buying a vowel, grocery shopping, mowing a lawn, taking a hayride, synchronized segway dancing, etc.

In the words of Paul McCartney, "I can't tell you how I feel. My heart is like a wheel. Let me roll it to you." Let me roll it to you indeed! Paul knows that wheels, even when used metaphorically, make things easier. And if you can't trust a "Beatle", then I don't know who to trust anymore. That's why I bow down and give it up for the blessing of our own perfect circle.

So let's all take a moment and say "Today I am thankful for wheels." Unless continuous circular motion makes you nervous in which case you must say " I don't trust anything that has no end. Circle or not. I don't even like this whole "bottomless coffee" thing. It's just sick. I like coffee just fine, but come on folks let's set a limit."

Thanks for listening. Check back for more things to be thankful for in days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment